- Love: when we see how wonderful Jesus is.
- Gratitude: when we see how greatly we are loved.
- Humility: when we see how our virtue pales in comparison with His.
- Contrition: when we realize what we did to Him.
- Compassion: when we see how greatly He suffers and longs for more Veronicas.
- Self-discipline: when we persevere in meditation.
- True self-esteem: when we realize that to Jesus (whose opinion matters most), we are worth His very life.
- Selflessness: when we see how small our sufferings are compared with His.
- Courage to embrace our cross: when we realize we’re not alone and given but a small load to bear.
- Patience: when we see how Jesus bore such outrages in perfect peace.
This post is dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria.