For Quieting Body, Mind, and Spirit
- Invoke the Holy Spirit.
- “Penance, penance, penance.” — OLO Lourdes
- Awake your hunger for God through spiritual reading, prayer, Christian music, charity work, or some other holy activity.
- Create a quiet, peaceful, and comfortable environment.
- Wear simple and comfortable clothing.
- Light candles, burn incense, and play low volume chant music.
- Assume a comfortable and meaningful body position.
- Don’t merely empty your mind, open it to its Lord. https://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDFMED.HTM
- Pray the Chotki to improve your breathing and focus.
- Enter into one of the three expressions of prayer: vocal, meditative, or contemplative. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p4s1c3a1.htm
- When distracted invoke the holy names of Jesus and Mary and calmly return to prayer.
- Be aware that some “distractions” might actually be God speaking to you.
- Persevere even if no spiritual consolation is felt.
- When you finish praying, record what you experienced in your prayer journal.
- “Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.” — The Mass